Celebrating YES 10th Anniversary!

Celebrating YES 10th Anniversary!

Sunday, May 2, 2010

YES 2010 Experience - Rasyiqah Ahmad Raqi


Hello everybody from Teaneck, New Jersey!

When I first received the letter that I will be going to America, I was beyond grateful and happy. I wanted to live in New York but now I live 22 minutes away from New York City. Even better! I live in Teaneck, New Jersey and this town is unbelievably diverse. There are multiple churches, synagogues and a mosque. So far, ever since I came here, all the "first time ever" events have happened. Two consecutive snow days and a terrible storm had paralysed my town for about a week. My school was closed for three days and I had to endure five nights without power at my house.

I attend Teaneck High School as a senior and like my town, it is very diverse. There are about 1500 people attending this school. When I first arrived here, I was so nervous of what they are going to think of me. But I was so surprised with the warm welcoming from them. There are quite a number of Muslim people here in my school and I even met a student who was originally from Malaysia! What a small world. I am taking Psychology, Environmental Science, World Literature, Math Methods, Spanish, US History and Dance. My favourite class is Environmental Science. Recently, I went to the Elementary School for Earth Day and I read them story books about the Earth and we also planted flower seeds together. The kids were so adorable! We even visited the Waste Treatment Plant and the Water Treatment Centre.



When I came here I decided to do something crazy, so I joined Crew or the Rowing Team. I never participated in any sports back home and I decided that, while I am here why not learn something that is completely new? When I first joined my body was hurting from all the training but it was worth it. We practiced on the river everyday after school for two hours and on Saturdays too. Even during Spring Break we have to go to practice at 8a.m. until 12p.m. It is time consuming but I love it. My crew team is wonderful; we practice together, laugh together. Even the coach is the nicest person I've ever met. I had my taste of racing for the first time ever on last Saturday and it was amazing. The Crew Team really taught me how to be a team player and how important teamwork is.



I can't believe that it is already the end of April. Time really flies and I wish we have more time to be here. But I have to be grateful with what I've got and try to live the fullest and squeeze everything during the last two months!



Rasyiqah Ahmad Raqi
Teaneck, New Jersey

No comments:

Post a Comment