Celebrating YES 10th Anniversary!

Celebrating YES 10th Anniversary!

Friday, March 19, 2010

YES 2010 Experience - Angel Choo


Hi All!

This is Angel Choo reporting from Toledo!

Basically, I'm having a great time here in this little city. I made snowmen, went snowboarding and sledding too! The third day I arrived was Martin Luther King Jr Day, and I was one of the foreign exchange students invited to attend the celebration in the University of Toledo. I wore my "baju kurung" and carried the Malaysian flag in along with about 70 other students. I feel so proud that I'm representing Malaysia! It was there that I met YES students from other countries like Indonesia, Philippines, Kenya and Mozambique. There were also students from Brazil, Spain, China, Thailand and South Korea.

Last Sunday, I volunteered in the Oscar Night Masquerade organized by the American Red Cross. We were supposed to be cheering fans for the VIPs that donated and participated in this event. It was really a new experience and our duty was simple; just scream and shout as loud as you can when the VIPs arrive! I was joined by four other ACES exchange students from Columbia, Spain, Brazil and South Korea. I'm glad I was able to participate and I even made more friends from other schools!

Life in school is different. I'm learning a new language - Spanish and I joined a mentoring group just for the ladies. In this group, we discuss about a lot of issues regarding ourselves such as body piercing, getting tattoos and other girly stuff. I think it serves as an eye-opener for me because I became aware of serious issues faced by young teens.

I am really blessed to have such experiences with the YES Program and hope everyone is having a great time as well!

Take care and hi to all Yes Alumni.



No comments:

Post a Comment