Celebrating YES 10th Anniversary!

Celebrating YES 10th Anniversary!

Thursday, March 25, 2010

YES Appreciation Article - Carishma Menon

She stepped out of the gray Durango, with a slight twinkle in her eyes and a warm smile across her face. She said “Hello”. I managed to squeeze out a soft “Hi mom”. I hugged her and stepped into the car with the rest of my new family. We drove off. Quietly, I observed and listened. The way they spoke sounded alien to me. The weather outside was too cold for my liking. I felt my skin crack. My head was spinning slightly due to the jet lag. “We will go to school on Monday to get you registered,” said “Mom”. I snapped out of my headache. “Okay,” I replied nervously, trying to sound enthusiastic.

Two years later, I sit on my living room couch with my laptop on my, well, lap. I am home for the Lunar New Year holidays with a pile of assignments waiting to be finished and a piano lesson in less than two hours. A project budget sits on the table in front of me waiting to be revised. My phone alarm rings, reminding me of a phone call I have to make to my program director. My left hand reaches for the center button on my phone, giving it a slight tap before it resumes its task of typing this write-up with the help of Mr. Right Hand.

I am overwhelmed by how fast time has passed. More importantly, I am impressed by how much I have grown. The past two years have played host to a priceless transformation, and the YES program was my starting point. I must admit that when I first arrived to the United States, I was very apprehensive and slightly discouraged by my new surroundings. I simply felt uncomfortable and hated the fact that I had to learn to fend for myself. I was, simply put, a passive-hearted girl who disliked challenge of any sort. Thankfully, my experience as an exchange student changed all that and turned me into a woman of conviction.

Today, it takes a lot to discourage me, because I know that I am capable of making a difference. As a recipient of the YES scholarship, I feel obliged to influence and educate the people around me using the knowledge I have gained. Apart from volunteering with AFS Malaysia during my free time, I am putting my leadership and communicative skills to good use at my current institution, INTEC UiTM Malaysia. As the secretary of the American Top Universities Students’ Association, which is the official student council for the American Credit Transfer Program, I play an active role in creating an avenue for students to expand their social networks and creative skills. As a YES Alumnus, I realize the importance of networking in order to achieve personal and communal goals. Therefore, last year, I introduced and implemented a mentor-mentee program that allows students of different academic levels to consult with each other regarding academic work and student lifestyle.

This year, I am the project director of INTEC’s “American Indulgence Fiesta”, which is a 5-day celebration of American-themed events such as a parade, Halloween party and Dodgeball tournament. In organizing this project, I am pleased to find that my goal of creating a sense of togetherness through the networking opportunities made available by the mentor-mentee program has been achieved. Students are not apprehensive to work together as a team, and mutual understanding is fostered amongst students of different clique’s and age groups. Furthermore, my previous exposure to the American way of life has allowed me to bring native perspective to the table when it comes to outlining the contents of these events. I am proud to share my experiences and insights with my peers and lecturers.

Contributions aside, the YES Program has also allowed me to develop as an individual. To be honest, I had little self-belief before I embarked on my YES journey. Insecure and feeling somewhat defeated by some personal struggles I have had to endure in my life, I was not confident of my capabilities. Evidently, being an exchange student is not easy. Fitting in with a new family and school setting requires persistence and effort. It doesn’t exactly happen overnight. However, the fact that I kept pushing myself to step a yardstick or two away from my comfort zone made me realize that persistence pays off, with the right attitude of course. Sure, there were some discouraging moments, but I forged many worthwhile friendships in the United States. And it was through these friendships that I was able to effectively play my role as a young ambassador of my country. For me, the experienced affirmed that the will to succeed makes all things possible, a newfound principle that I currently apply to myself. For example, I recently picked up where I left off with my music lessons after an almost two year gap. Although I am currently only pursuing a grade 5 piano certificate at the age of twenty, I want to earn my grade 8 certificate regardless of how long it may take.

Ultimately of course, the most important mark that the YES Program has left me with is a sense of awareness. As a former exchange student who has had the golden opportunity of literally interacting beyond borders, I realize the importance of tolerance and appreciating the differences that are sometimes misused to divide us as people. Although racial and religious tolerance is something that is understood by most Malaysians, cliques are still prevalent especially among the young. My own college is victim to this scenario, as students who share the same mother tongue are frequently seen clumping together. Today, I still strive to break this mould by maintaining strong friendships with students of all ethnicities at college. This is something I have continuously encouraged from the people around me. Furthermore, I aim to foster a sense of understanding amongst my friends and peers by keeping them well-informed of my own customs and beliefs, as do they.

All in all, my experience as a young ambassador, volunteer, advocate, daughter and friend has instilled a sense of purpose in me. Since returning from the program, I no longer play just the role of a daughter at home or a student at school.
Thank you YES, for making me a leader.

Carishma Menon
YES 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment