Celebrating YES 10th Anniversary!

Celebrating YES 10th Anniversary!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

YES 2010 Experience - Darren Wong



Hello from the Bearcat’s county Ubly, Michigan!!!

The YES Program really changed my life! Finally, I can feel how it is like to be an American!

The first day I arrived here in Ubly, I said to myself “Wow! United States is not only New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco…” I think this is the place that I wanted to be, because they don’t show it on TV…

I attended Ubly High School as a Junior for some reason but I still took Senior classes such as Advance PE, Advance Algebra, Advance Art, Biology, Music App., English Lit. and US History. I think my favorite class is Advance PE because I learnt how to do real weightlifting that I have not learnt in my high school back in Malaysia. There are only 250 students attending my high school here. Even though we are a small school, we are really good in sports such as football, basketball, volleyball and some other sports. “Small school, Big dream” That’s what people call us.


In the winter, I wanted to join my school’s basketball team but I was kind of scared because I thought that I’m not good enough for the team. After three days of thinking, I finally met the coach, Mr. Banama. I went for a try out and I made it. I was so happy at that time because it was my dream to play basketball in the US even though it is not the NBA. I still remember the hardcore training and all the fat I have lost here. The practices are really tough. I mean Tough! I still remember my first day of practice, it is the toughest thing I have ever done. But now I really miss those days…



I also went snowboarding with my friends in the winter.




I attended my school's Prom Night and even played golf for my school in Spring. We almost qualified for State!





I have a lot more stories to share but I think I this is enough for now… PEACE =D


Darren Wong
Ubly, Michigan
YES 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment