Celebrating YES 10th Anniversary!

Celebrating YES 10th Anniversary!

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

YES 2010 Experience - Eva Khoo



Hi everyone, I am Eva Khoo from Malaysia. AFS and the YES program gave me a golden opportunity to find out WHO I AM, what I LOVE and ENJOY to do and meet lots of friends. I have never experienced a play before and because of YES, I am studying in NPA-Northcoast Preparatory Performing Art Academy and the principal;Jean Bazemore is very happy to have me and I feel so lucky because I was in the play even though I just arrived within a month. Besides that, I also have my first ski experience. I enjoyed presenting about Malaysia in different schools and I feel proud to be a Malaysian! I hope everyone enjoyed the presentations.

I enjoyed spending time with my host family and school. They are FUNNY,CARING and LOVELY. I am so happy that I am here, in Humboldt County which has a very good environment. I LOVE the school because the school is surrounded by trees and I feel so fresh every day when I go to school. Even though I have to wake up early every Monday, Wednesday and Friday for jazz band, I'm very excited because I love the jazz band. I have done something that I have never done before; a solo. I thought I can't do a solo because I have never tried before. But because of my jazz band teacher;Gregg, I did it! I am so happy because I am out of the box! "Nothing is Impossible."



I also chose swing dance for electives and picked up some languages such as Spanish and French in school. I feel so lucky and proud to be part of NPA Alumni. Again, the school is amazing. I am so impressed by how creative the students are and how nice the teachers are. They are so friendly and always ask me if I need any help. I had my dinner with my principal and all the exchange students and it was great. I promised I will always remember what my principal said- "Follow your heart, do what you love to do and go for it!" I enjoyed the cotillion because I have never dressed up and I gone to a cotillion. I was so excited! I am sure I will enjoy the trip organized by the school to New Orleans and I appreciate it. The school also invited the writer of a history book and a lady to talk about the importance of recycling which I am very interested in because all of us should remember the 3R's- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle and imply it in our daily lives.



Besides that, I enjoyed doing community service and volunteer jobs. I get closer to friends when I volunteer to help the society. Helping people is something that I enjoy doing every time. Not only do I get closer to friends, I also get to gain some knowledge about animals in the USA and some particular food animals can eat when I volunteer myself at the 4H program. I realized how important help from community is when I had a volunteer job at the Food Bank. I feel lucky because I got to join GCC club in HSU and the club gave me the opportunity to dance Joget (Malaysian dance) in HSU during May Day. People are appreciative of what I do. Moreover, I learnt how to make my first 3 different flavors of pizzas when I volunteered at the kitchen in school.



Everyday is a new day. Amazing things happen everyday too. There is too much to talk about and I can't express all of it on paper. So, everyone is welcome to e-mail me if you are interested to talk to me. I am more than happy to tell you about my amazing experience here!

Terima kasih kepada semua (thanks to everyone)! I love you guys!

E-mail: evangeline_khoo@hotmail.com

Evangeline Khoo
YES Program 2010

5 comments:

  1. Your description of the activites and their impact on your personality reflects the multiculture, ethinic bias-free and very grooming environment of Northcoast.I wish it were I instead of u???? Anyways, I hope u would start living your in malaysia with almost new and refreshing approach.
    All the best for future activities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, can i know if you have sholarship to go there or pay all yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, can i know if you have sholarship to go there or pay all yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. and ya, how long is your program?

    ReplyDelete
  5. and ya, how long is your program?

    ReplyDelete